Saturday, November 21, 2009

No second-hand days

I love a good bargain. And I love finding surprises in unexpected places like thrift stores and garage sales. Those discoveries make me feel like the Proverbs 31 woman who brings her treasures from afar.

But when I looked out the window above my desk this morning, I realized that God isn’t always that thrifty. Sure, I saw the same old cottonwoods glittering in their autumn gold, and the ridge tops wore their familiar oak silhouette, but the day itself was unique.

“A brand new day,” I thought. “God has done it again; He’s given us a brand new, never-been-used-before morning.”

There are no second-hand days with God.

If the Creator'd had only one day to give us, I believe He would have. I base that judgment upon how He’s handled other valuable gifts, particularly His son.

God has one perfect son, Jesus, and He gave Him for our imperfect lives. Do we even begin to understand the depth of that giving?

Not only do we have brand new lives because of Jesus, we have a sparkling, new hope because of Him.

And we have never-been-used-before mornings for which to praise Him, every single day.

Now there’s something to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment