Saturday, August 25, 2012

Who is my neighbor?



Bear? Here? Yeah. 
Not this little black baby, but a big black cousin rambling up the street one night turning over trash cans and leaving deposits in the yard next door.
Last Sunday a friend from church told me she frequently spots a bruin roaming her property and sniffing her car.
“Our house backs up against open country,” she said. She’s not surprised by her visitors. Just cautious.
Here along the Arkansas River, we live in a riparian habitat. That means we’re not the only critters enjoying the water and shady cottonwoods. Deer, raccoons, skunks, Canada geese, herons, and mallards also make their homes nearby. So do more aggressive residents such as bobcats, bears and cougars.
The deer are my favorite, especially a familiar doe with her twin spotted fawns. I often see them at the Riverwalk, grazing in the deeper shade of the woods, away from the trail used by people with their dogs. People like me.
Watching the gentle threesome fills me with a sense of peace and order, knowing that God has populated his beautiful world with these beautiful creatures.

For every beast of the forest is Mine,
And the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know all the birds of the mountains,
And the wild beasts of the field are Mine.
                           —Psalm 50:10, 11 NKJ

If He is taking such perfect care of these occupants of his creation, won’t He do the same for us?


NOTE: See the “Join this site” button at my blog site? It’s similar to a “Like” button on Facebook. I’d love to have you join my follow group. Nothing new will come to your email inbox.

4 comments:

  1. I love critters! I think God is so clever to make so many different kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got that right, Karla. He's so varied in his expressions of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy watching wildlife, Davalyn. In our backyard we have raccoon and squirrels; overhead soar eagles, osprey, and a regular formation of geese. I always feel a great sense of peace and wonder in those moments. "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." (Ps.19:1)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Kate. Too bad we, as the crown of His creation, don't rest in His provision like the wildlife!

    ReplyDelete