Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ever want to run away and hide?



Like the lamp post in C.S. Lewis’s The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, this vine-draped cottonwood tree beckons me into another dimension. Each time I pass it, my inner child urges me to step through the portal into a place where the impossible could happen.

My grown-up self sees it as a hiding place – a refuge where I can escape daily assaults and mundane duties.

Sometimes I just want to hide.

My favorite author felt the same way. David the shepherd-king wrote:

            Rescue me from my enemies, O LORD,
            For I hide myself in you. —Psalm 143:9 (NIV)

What better place to take cover than in the Lord God Almighty? He knows everything about me and still loves me. Is there anyone safer than that?

Sometimes I need to hide.

And rest.

And soak up His strength.

And learn again like a little child that in Him, the impossible really does happen.

How about you?


You are my hiding place; Psalm32:7 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment